That’s the amount of things I’m usually thinking about and doing at the same time. Can you relate?
This year has been absolutely hectic. Financially, 2022 was my best year in 5 years. Physically and emotionally, it felt like I was running all day until I fell into bed at night.
And the only times I seemed able to shut off all-the-things and achieve a sense of calm was when:
- I was in the zone working.
- I was deep inside exercise and a song, or in the sauna at the gym.
- I was watching the wilderness survival show, Alone, and fantasizing about being on a slightly modified version of this show, where for like 6 hours, I got to pick berries in the sun, swim, and then sit by a fire and read.
- Amidst the children and the dogs and the messy house, I took a momentary freeze-frame of my life and said, this is a happy moment.
So today I find myself worn out, yet also feeling capable, empowered and hopeful.
- Years in business — 16 (so grateful for that decision all those years ago, and for Ilise who helped me stay resilient)
- Total clients — 20 (6 less than last year — I’m doing bigger projects for fewer people)
- Clients / partners who are designers — 8
- Client websites written — 17 (up 6 from last year)
- Client blogs + newsletters + case studies written — 60+
- Clients for whom I write monthly or bi-monthly blogs, newsletters or case studies — 6
- Clients who came from referrals — 8 (5 more than last year)
- Proposals created — 12
- Proposals accepted — 10 (I talk about money during the consult so they know what to expect)
- Times the ice cream truck came to our house - 10+! (Have you ever had a bomb pop from the Mister Softee truck? Seriously, why are they so good?)
- Times I turned getting hit by a car into a marketing lesson — 1
- Un-newsletter subscribers — 1027
- Un-newsletters sent — 4 (Eh, at least that makes 82 since 2010! Read them on my blog.)
- Urgent naps I took at 2PM — plenty
- Conversations I started in the supermarket — countless (truly one of my favorite things)
- Treadmill desks purchased — 1! (I’ll share my thoughts soon.)
- Actual books read — 4 (This is approximately 4 more than last year. ;) I really enjoyed Evelyn Hugo and Eleanor Oliphant.)
- Times I fed the children cereal for dinner — quite a few, but not as many as I wanted :)
- Times I took my son to the aquarium without a stroller — 1 (never again)
- We Can Do Hard Things podcast episodes I listened to — most of them!
What’s my plan for 2023?
- Dance parties
- Top-dollar projects
- Decluttering (when my space has less overwhelming stuff, so does my mind)
- Listening to my body when it says: Rest!
- Noticing what brings me joy, and then doing more of it.
Wishing you a 2023 that lets you feel calm often.❤
Hi, I’m Deidre. In my posts, I talk about my voyage down the road of self-employment as a copywriting partner to web designers , my achievements and roadblocks along the way, and what I’m learning as I go (with Marketing Mentor as my guide). To keep in touch, sign up for my un-newsletter here and get my freebie download, 12 Sparks to Write Sizzling, Audience-Attracting Website Words.