This week I am celebrating 2 milestones and I hope you will join me.
- 2018 marks my 30th year in business.
- Today, June 25, is my birthday.
In honor of those milestones, I want to share some of what I've learned over the years.
In a nutshell, working for yourself is not easy, no matter what anyone else says.
However, it is extremely gratifying on so many level.
Many people underestimate what it takes to achieve what I call "professional autonomy" -- the point at which you are at nobody's mercy, dependent on no one and you have the tools to take your business where you want it to go (as long as that is possible, of course).
This takes time -- way more than anyone wants it to take.
There are obstacles and roadblocks along the way.
And the roller coaster is sometimes very scary (as I mentioned last week).
But after 30 years I can honestly say there is nothing more gratifying than being self employed.
I have learned so much and I am stronger than I would otherwise be -- of that I am certain.
Working for yourself keeps you on your toes -- especially these days.
We can not afford to fall asleep for a minute or the competition will whiz right by!
Luckily there is competent help available to get over the inevitable humps and slumps.
I had no special skills or connections.
With good guidance, I made it this far. Here's how:
- By listening to the market and being flexible
- By focusing (instead of trying to help everyone)
- By learning from every single experience (especially the ones that sting)
- By reinventing my services over and over (even when I didn't want to)
- By caring about people (so important today)
- And by fighting constantly against the laziness that is in all of us
These 6 principles are at the core of the autonomy I value -- and that's what i teach.