As a mentor who teaches creative professionals how to creatively promote their services, I am often asked how I promote myself. Because of course I have to practice what I preach, otherwise, what good would I be?
But I would have to say that speaking to groups of creative professionals is -- hands down -- my most effective marketing tool.
And while it’s not right for everyone, I do think it’s right for more people than actually use it to promote their services.
I understand -- there is a lot you have to learn to be a good speaker – and finding the right idea to speak is one of the hardest parts.
So when I heard that my friend Terri Trespicio, a 2X TEDx speaker was offering a brand new 2 day workshop called Tapped to Speak (which is being held June 7-8 in NYC), I wanted to be involved.
Beyond just spreading the word as an affiliate for the event, we came up with the idea of offering a free webinar to the Marketing Mentor community to share a bit about how to get clients from speaking gigs and a lot more.
So this week's podcast episode is the audio version of the webinar. In it, we covered a lot of territory, including:
- Mistakes speakers (even veterans) make
- How to get people to listen
- How to get people to laugh
- How to get people to stay in touch
- How to get clients from a speaking gig
- How to get started with speaking if you've never done it before
- Should you host your own events?
- Details for Tapped To Speak at http://bit.ly/mmentortix.
- From the webinar, find the slides here and watch the video here
- Listen to the podcast version of the webinar here or below...