About Ilise Benun
Business Expert for Creative Professionals
Ilise Benun is the author of 7 business books for the “creatively self-employed,” a national speaker and founder of Marketing-Mentor.com and adjunct faculty at Maryland Institute College of Art.
She tailors her group coaching and one-on-one mentoring to the needs of each and every creative professional who engages her and helps you build the business that provides the freedom you want.
There is no big-ticket "program" to commit to. Every session is customized to provide exactly what you need when you need it -- no more and no less. You won't be overwhelmed by material or left to figure out how to apply the idea to your own situation.
During her more than 30 years in business, she has developed and delivered programming for creative professionals, notably as instructor in the "Business of Design" graduate program at Maryland Institute College of Art "and as co-founder/host of the Creative Business/Design Entrepreneurship program of HOW Design Live.
She has also developed popular online courses for CreativeLive.com:
- Command the Fees You Deserve
- Don't Get Pushed Around: An Introvert's Guide to Getting What You Need at Work
- What to Say When...Tips and Scripts for Tricky Situations at Work
Connect with Ilise Benun on LinkedIn.
Since 1993, Benun has been conducting marketing workshops for art schools and trade organizations that cater to creative professionals, including HOW Design Live, HOW Interactive Conference, Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario (Canada), Graphic Designers of Canada, NY Designs (LaGuardia Community College/CUNY), AIGA, Spark, Graphic Artists Guild, SCAD, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), The School of Visual Arts (NYC), Pratt Institute, Kendall College of Art and Design, Sage College of Albany, New Jersey Creatives, The Freelancers Union, Editorial Freelancers Association, International Freelancers Day, International Association of Business Communicators, Business Marketing Association, NYU Entrepreneurship Summit, the 92nd St. Y and many more.
(More videos and details here: http://marketing-mentor.com/speaking)
Benun is the author of 7 books, including, “The Creative Professional’s Guide to Money,” “The Designer’s Guide to Marketing and Pricing (HOW Design Books), “Stop Pushing Me Around: A Workplace Guide for the Timid, Shy and Less Assertive” (Career Press), “The Art of Self Promotion,” "Self-Promotion Online" (HOW Design Books) and "Designing Web Sites:// for Every Audience" (HOW Design Books). She also co-authored “Public Relations for Dummies, 2nd Edition” (Wiley) with Eric Yaverbaum and Bob Bly.
Benun is also the host of 2 podcasts, (the Marketing Mentor Podcast and the HOW Design Live podcast) and the lead author on 2 blogs: The Marketing Mix Blog (named by QuickBooks as one of the 100 Best Business Blogs) and the Creative Freelancer Blog, and publishes a bi-weekly email newsletter, "Quick Tips from Marketing Mentor," which is read by 12,000+. Her work has also been featured in national publications (both online and off), including Entrepreneur.com, HOW Magazine, Toronto Globe and Mail, Inc. Magazine, Nation’s Business, Self, Essence, Crains New York Business, Dynamic Graphics, Working Woman, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Denver Post and more.
- Ilise's author page on Amazon.com
- Articles on Entrepreneur.com
- Quoted in Fast Company article, "How Freelancers Can Protect Themselves and Get Paid On Time"
- Ilise's chapter on Marketing in The Business of Graphic Design: The RGD Professional Handbook (the first and only comprehensive Canadian guide to maintaining a graphic design business)
Benun is Program Partner for HOW Design Live and co-founder in 2008 of one of its original events, The Creative Freelancer Conference.
Benun has also developed and delivered online courses for Maryland Institute College of Art's Graduate Program, The Business of Art & Design and HOW Design University, most as part of the Certificate in Creative Business Entrepreneurship, including:
- Graphic Design Proposals 101
- The Key Steps to Earning More in Your Creative Business
- Strategies for Creative Freelancers
- Developing A Successful Online Marketing Plan
- How to Start Your Own Freelance Business
She was also the lead developer and trainer of a curriculum for the Freelancers Union called, “Freelance 360: How to Be a Better Boss of You,” which included a series of 6 workshops and panel presentations led by “expert freelancers” covering:
- Work, Life and You: Staying Sane While Managing All Three
- Setting a Strong Foundation for Your Freelance Business
- Thriving Networks: Marketing and Connecting That Works
- Be Their Go-To: Building Lasting Relationships with Clients & Collaborators
- Work Smarter, Not Harder: Streamlining Your Day to Day Freelance Life
- Planning for Growth
Want more? Lots of podcasts & video interviews here (in chronological order):
- With Emily Leach (video) for Freelance Conference 2019
- With Paula Rizzo (video) on the Media Hit That Got Me Business for 10 years!
- How I Learned to Love the Money Conversation on Clients From Hell Podcast
- With Mark McGuinness on the 21st Century Creative
- On TheDIYPreneur podcast
- On Jason Resnick's Live in the Feast Podcast
- On 3 Marketers Walk Into a Podcast
- With Jurgen Strauss on the Innovabiz Podcast
- With Jeffrey Shaw on Creative Warriors Podcast
- With Nina Cooke on The Entrepreneur's Inner Game (video)
- With Colleen Gratzer on Design Domination Podcast
- With Brian Clark on the Unemployable Podcast
- With Carl Smith on the Bureau Briefing Podcast
- With Ed Gandia on how to pick a niche and smart networking strategies for creative professionals
- With Mike Kim on The Mike Kim Show
- With Emily Lewis & Lea Alcantara of CTRL+CLICK CAST
- With Chris Martin for the Get Work to Work podcast
- With David Bain of Digital Marketing Radio about smart marketing objectives.
- With Jeff Sauer of the Jumpstart Jeffalyitics Podcast
- With Ram Castillo on the Giant Thinkers podcast
- With Nathan Powell for the Nusii podcast
- Q&A interviews on:
- Getting Creative Work in the Gig Economy via American Marketing Association's Marketing News
- AWAI's The Barefoot Writer
- Startup Savant
- Sunbird Creative: Her Story, Her Success
- How to Deal with Difficult Clients on Marketing for Creatives
- Indypendently: How to Bring in Consistent Business & Stop the Feast or Famine Lifestyle
- "How to Run a Successful Creative Business According to Ilise Benun," by Val Sopi
- Watch this video to see how one client changed to grow.
When Ilise isn't working, you can find her walking Fanny in Forsyth Park.