Tired of being treated like a pair of hands? Want to be valued for your brain and your ideas?
My advice: stop blaming your clients and start acting like the strategic partner you want to be.
- Ask questions -- lots of questions, and good ones that show what you know. Even better: find questions that reveal the gap between what you know and what they don't know. (That's curiosity as a marketing tool.)
- Share your ideas -- don't be stingy, paranoid or precious. Instead, be generous and describe how you would approach their challenge.
- Show your work -- in case study format is ideal, so they can see your process and how you solve problems like the ones they're struggling with.
- Show you care. Take time and give thought to their situation -- that's a sign of caring. So is your enthusiasm for their organization and mission.
- Connect with content -- I explained how to do this in a recent interview on the Sandler Training's "How to Succeed" podcast here.
Like what you read and want more?
- If you want to receive future posts on this blog via email, sign up here.
- Take advantage of the free 30-minute mentoring session to pick my brain.