I had the surprise pleasure of meeting Kevin Carroll last month when he gave his PATH to Professional Presentations to an auditorium full of students at SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design), where he plays his favorite role -- that of "Katalyst."
I guess I'm a bit out of the loop because, although I had heard of him and I knew he had been a HOW Design Live speaker in the past, I have to admit, I didn’t really know who he was.
But now I understand why the line to see his presentation was out the door.
So of course I followed up with him and invited him to be on the podcast.
I had no idea where this conversation would go -- and it went somewhere I hadn’t imagined. We talked about:
- how to connect with the whole room (especially the people in the way back) when you speak to groups
- how to turn your attendees into storytellers who carry your message beyond the presentation.
- how to blur the lines between work and play
- the difference between “owning a business” and “having a business”
- how Kevin's own business shifted when he found the way he works best
- and most important, how to show up, despite the distractions of technology and life
Kevin is all about connecting with people -- he’s not the “sage from the stage.’ He practices what he preaches, which makes him an excellent (and very generous) networker and collaborator.
Here's my favorite quote from our conversation:
“Always be in beta, always improving, always updating.”
Want more Kevin? Check out:
- Video from his Creative Mornings Portland talk,
"Get Stuff Done"
- Video from his SCAD presentation, PATH to Professional Presentations
- One of Kevin's favorite collaborations with creative partners, Ann Willoughby of Willoughby Design and Gordon Mackenzie. Watch the highlight reel of their work.
- Kevin's three "Red Rubber Ball" books
Listen here (and below) and learn.
Will I see you in Chicago at HOW Design Live?
Use my promo code (MENTOR10) for 10% off your ticket HOW Design Live 2019 in Chicago, May 7-10 at howdesignlive.com.
If you like what you hear, write a review, subscribe on iTunes and sign up for Quick Tips from Marketing Mentor.