About Ilise Benun
Business Expert for Creative Professionals
Ilise Benun is the author of 7 business books for the “creatively self-employed,” a national speaker and founder of Marketing-Mentor.com. During her 25+ years in business, she has developed and delivered programming for creative professionals, notably as co-founder/host of the Creative Business/Design Entrepreneurship program of HOW Design Live and via her popular online course for CreativeLive.com, "Command the Fees You Deserve." (Ilise Benun on LinkedIn)
Since 1993, Benun has been conducting marketing workshops for art schools and trade organizations that cater to creative professionals, including the Freelancers Union, HOW Design Live, HOW Interactive Conference, Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario (Canada), Graphic Designers of Canada, NY Designs (LaGuardia Community College/CUNY), AIGA, Spark, Graphic Artists Guild, SCAD, Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), The School of Visual Arts (NYC), Pratt Institute, Kendall College of Art and Design, Sage College of Albany, New Jersey Creatives, Editorial Freelancers Association, International Freelancers Day, International Association of Business Communicators, Business Marketing Association, NYU Entrepreneurship Summit, the 92nd St. Y and many more. (Videos and details here: http://marketing-mentor.com/speaking)
Benun is the author of 7 books, including, “The Creative Professional’s Guide to Money,” “The Designer’s Guide to Marketing and Pricing (HOW Design Books), “Stop Pushing Me Around: A Workplace Guide for the Timid, Shy and Less Assertive” (Career Press), “The Art of Self Promotion,” "Self-Promotion Online" (HOW Design Books) and "Designing Web Sites:// for Every Audience" (HOW Design Books). She also co-authored “Public Relations for Dummies, 2nd Edition” (Wiley) with Eric Yaverbaum and Bob Bly.
Benun is the lead author on 2 blogs: The Marketing Mix Blog and the Creative Freelancer Blog, and publishes a bi-weekly email newsletter, "Quick Tips from Marketing Mentor," which is read by 15,000+. Her work has also been featured in national publications (both online and off), including Entrepreneur.com, HOW Magazine, Toronto Globe and Mail, Inc. Magazine, Nation’s Business, Self, Essence, Crains New York Business, Dynamic Graphics, Working Woman, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Denver Post and more.
- Ilise's author page on Amazon.com
- Articles on Entrepreneur.com
- Much of what Ilise has produced for HOW Magazine/F&W Media
- Quoted in Fast Company article, "How Freelancers Can Protect Themselves and Get Paid On Time"
Benun is Program Partner for the Creative Business track of HOW Design Live (presented with HOW Magazine/F&W Media http://www.howdesignlive.com) (and co-founder in 2008 of its original event, The Creative Freelancer Conference).
Benun has also developed and delivered online courses for HOW Design University, including
- Graphic Design Proposals 101
- Interactive Business Development Bootcamp
- Strategies for Creative Freelancers
- Developing A Successful Online Marketing Plan
- How to Start a Freelance Business
She was also the lead developer and trainer of a curriculum for the Freelancers Union called, “Freelance 360: How to Be a Better Boss of You,” which included a series of 6 workshops and panel presentations led by “expert freelancers” covering:
- Work, Life and You: Staying Sane While Managing All Three
- Setting a Strong Foundation for Your Freelance Business
- Thriving Networks: Marketing and Connecting That Works
- Be Their Go-To: Building Lasting Relationships with Clients & Collaborators
- Work Smarter, Not Harder: Streamlining Your Day to Day Freelance Life
- Planning for Growth
Want more? Lots of podcasts and interviews here:
- Nathan Powell and Ilise talking about proposals on the Nusii blog
- Ed Gandia and Ilise talking about how to pick a niche and about smart networking strategies for creative professionals
- David Bain of Digital Marketing Radio and Ilise talking about smart marketing objectives.
- Marc Harmon and Ilise breaking the marketing plan down into a step-by-step process.
- "How to Run a Successful Creative Business According to Ilise Benun," by Val Sopi