Hi, I'm Deidre. In my posts, I talk about my voyage down the road of self-employment as a website copywriter, my achievements and roadblocks along the way, and what I’m learning as I go (with Marketing Mentor as my guide).
I feel like I’ve been saying no a lot lately. And while saying no can be a window for growth—I also want to make sure I’m recognizing areas for growth—in a way that interests me and suits my strengths. Last week, I talked about where I don’t want to grow—but this week—I’m going to address where I do.
I’ve written numerous websites, email newsletters and blog posts. I’ve gotten involved in the strategy behind the content. And I love doing these things!
Areas where I’d like to do more:
- Helping people clarify their brands and putting that into words. This is where I really get my kicks. When a business isn’t quite sure who they are—and they need help figuring it out and wording it, I want in!
- Brand strategy. Once the brand is clarified, I’d like to do more strategizing on the best way to relay that brand to the audience.
- Company naming/taglines. I’ve done a few of these, and really enjoy the process of listening, exploring, and finding the right fit.
- Reading, attending, following. I worry that I haven’t made enough room for learning and expanding my skills, and my brain. I want to keep growing my craft by reading more, following other pioneering writers, and attending learning events. (Tomorrow, Sept.23rd, is International Freelancers Day—and I’ll be watching!)
- Expanding my writer network. I’d also love to create and enhance my relationships with other writers. When I do say no to a job, I’d like to be a good resource and recommend someone. Also, I’d like to see what I can learn from and share with other writers.
Next step: Planning action-steps to grow in these areas.
I found this exercise refreshing. Will you try it too?
Take a few minutes to figure out where you want to grow—and please share what you come up with.