Today I’m kicking off a series of posts on HOWDesign.com that will give you the simple formula and advanced marketing tools to move away from clients who don’t value your services and make it easier for better ones to find you.
This “formula” is also the schedule of topics for the brand new Get Better Clients Bootcamp, a half day intensive on May 2, 2017 in Chicago, hosted by HOW Design Live & presented by Marketing Mentor. This is the event for you if you can’t afford a big conference and need a quick boost of practical marketing strategies to grow your business. (Details here: http://bit.ly/GetBetterClientsBootcamp)
Ready? Here is the formula to get better clients:
- Decide Where to Focus. Not so simple to do, but focus is the key to success because we live in a world of way too many options and we just can’t be everything to everyone. The narrower you focus, the clearer your message will be to better clients and the easier it will be for them to say, “This is exactly who we need.”
- Cultivate The Right Mindset. Debbie Millman speaks movingly about this in her new CreativeLive course, A Brand Called You, and she will be sharing the highlights at the Get Better Clients Bootcamp.
- Use Your Creativity To Pursue Your Dream Clients. Former agency owner, Jake Jorgovan, observes that most creatives leave their creativity at the door when they do their own business development. Through his company, Outbound Creative, he and his team implement the most creative, eye-catching, mind-blowing strategies to get the attention of dream clients – and it works! He will be sharing actual examples as part of the Get Better Clients Bootcamp. In the meantime, read his new post, 4 Ways to Use Creativity to Win New Clients.
- Get Attention with Compelling Visual and Written Content. Ryan Robinson says most creatives aren’t using compelling content marketing to sell their strengths and expertise as well as they could. In our recent podcast interview, he explains how he has done it for himself – and got 200,000 monthly visitors to his blog as a byproduct. He will be sharing the highlights as part of the Get Better Clients Bootcamp.
- Position Yourself as The Expert. Julia Reich Of Stone Soup Creative decided public speaking would be the best way to promote her design firm to the non profit world. So she learned how to become a public speaker, got lots of practice, added graphic recording to her toolbox and now she presents at events like The Non Profit Technology Conference. Julia will be sharing the highlights of how she did that at the Get Better Clients Bootcamp.
- Become A Media Magnet. Are you ready for TV (or media in general)? You probably think you need: a bestselling book; a regular column; a PhD; a TED talk, earned your first million. It’s none of that. Terri Trespicio outlines the 5 signs you are ready here. And she’ll be sharing more of what it takes at The Get Better Clients Bootcamp.
- Stay on The Radar/Visible with Email Marketing. Timing is everything when it comes to getting the work you want from your dream clients. If you’re not on their radar, they will forget you exist – out of sight, out of mind! So stay in touch with relevant content that demonstrates why you are exactly who they need when they’re ready.
That’s it — that’s the formula for getting better clients.
Whether you work independently or run your own agency, this formula works. It’s not complicated, it just takes effort and attention and focus, of course.
So if you really want to learn, join me at The Get Better Clients Bootcamp and hear from real live creative professionals who are actually using these strategies to get better clients.
The entire half day intensive will focus on answering this one essential question that keeps agency owners and independent creatives alike up at night: “How do you get better clients?” I have invited a dynamic roster of speakers to share their practical, how-to marketing tactics. Every speaker will have a different answer to that all important question, a simple idea or practical tactic that can be implemented immediately.
Plus, you’ll be surprised at how affordably this half day intensive is priced, with you in mind.
Come for the day then get right back to work, or come for all 5 days of HOW Design Live and soak it all in. It’s happening on May 2, 2017 in Chicago. Details here: http://bit.ly/GetBetterClientsBootcamp