Last week I had the pleasure of interviewing filmmaker and author (and this year’s HOWLive Opening Keynote Speaker), Tiffany Shlain, for the HOWDesignLive@SCAD Lecture Series, which is one element in an exciting new partnership between HOW Design Live and the 2016 Executive Education Sponsor, the Savannah College of Art & Design.
(Watch the video here…..our conversation is sandwiched between the screening of 2 of her short films.)
One of my favorite exchanges in our conversation was when I asked Tiffany, who also co-founded the Webby Awards, why she makes movies.
She explained that she is interested in scaling her creativity to make an impact on the world and finds movies to be a very efficient use of her creativity.
“If you weren’t at The Webbys, you missed it! It was an amazing event but if you weren’t there, you couldn’t experience it.”
But her short films, plus the online discussion materials her team makes available to accompany them, can live and make their impact without her. “My film, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, doesn’t need me after 13 years. All the creative energy is still in the film. I love that.”
In fact, all 28 of her movies are playing all over the world – doing their thing without her.
She shared so much more about:
- how she and her team work
- why she and her family have been taking 24 hours without screens for the past 7 years and how it affects her creativity (and her sleep)
- plus a lovely tip about the importance of handwritten thank you notes. (I sent her a package of them from Savannah as a little thank you for taking some time with the SCAD students.)
This Lecture series has been amazing so far and we have 2 more interviews to go — here’s the entire lineup:
- Matthew Manos, named one of Seven Millennials Changing the World — also speaking at HOWLive in Atlanta this May. (Watch our interview here, Internet was a bit wonky that day.)
- Jason Fried of Basecamp.com (Watch here and don’t miss his rant on the importance of sleep!)
- Lana Rigsby and Thomas Hull of Rigsby Hull (Watch it here with special guests, SCAD professors, Steff Geissbuhler and Joe Digioia)
- Kate Aronowitz (coming soon)
And while you’re at it, listen to the latest #HOWLive podcast interviews with organizers and speakers:
I hope you’ll join us in Atlanta, May 19-23 for HOW Design Live–early bird deadline is April 1, 2016. Use my promo code for an extra $50 off: “BENUN50”
The post Tiffany Shlain: HOWDesignLive@SCAD Lecture Series 2016 appeared first on The Marketing Mix.