Hi, I'm Deidre. In my posts, I talk about my voyage down the road of self-employment as a copywriting partner to designers, my achievements and roadblocks along the way, and what I’m learning as I go (with Marketing Mentor as my guide).
For two more weeks, I’ll be workin’ full time (well, kinda) in corporate land. Before I said yes, I planned as best I could. I analyzed and negotiated (details on that soon). But I wasn’t prepared for everything! If I could see the future, I would have told myself:
1. Think you’ll get home at 6:30PM ready to tackle client work with a fresh, clear mind? Maybe if you’re a superhero. But certainly not if you’re me.
2. Used to healthy meals, exercise, and 8 hours of sleep? Be prepared to be challenged in every arena. Your balance will be thrown off kilter in a big way.
4. Your work energizes you. This work will mostly drain you. Take vitamins.
5. Your heart won’t be in it (as much as your own business). Sure, you’ll want to do a good job, but it won’t be the same.
6. Distractions are constant, and there’s a lot less you can do about it.
7. You might really like the people. You might really like being around people. And you’ll integrate into the culture quickly and it might even be fun. (Hooray – you didn’t lose your social skills after 6 years solo!)
8. You will learn a lot – and some of it might be helpful in the future.
9. You are not in charge. I will say it again. You are not in charge! At all. Not even close. Enjoy believing in what you do? Get over it quick.
10. The lure of the golden handcuffs is strong: Steady money is more wonderful than you remembered.
11. Rules and procedures and personality-zapping boring stuff. Ick.
12. Remember how much you hated dry cleaning and hand-washing? They’re back!
What do you think? Do you miss corporate land? Would you go back?
*Sweater photo, courtesy, Shutterstock.